Energy Performance Certificates

What is an Energy Performance Certificate?

Energy Performance Certificates (EPCs) or EPC Certificates are required whenever a property (commercial or domestic) is built, sold or rented. It indicates how energy efficient a building is and what impact the building’s energy use has on the environment.

They contain information about a property’s energy use and average costs, using a rating system from A (most efficient) to G (least efficient) similar to those used on kitchen white goods. Energy Performance Certificate regulations state that it is a legal requirement to supply them to potential buyers or tenants before actively marketing your property, or signing a tenancy agreement.

The EPC also contains recommendations on reducing energy consumption, energy costs and CO2 emissions, and improving energy efficiency. The EPC Certificates are valid for 10 years.

For those wishing to take advantage of the money being provided by the government for the generation of energy through the Feed In Tariff (FIT’s – electrical generation from renewable sources) or the Renewable Heat Incentive RHI’s (Heat generated from renewable sources) an EPC for the building will be required.


What Type of EPC Certificate do I need?

Domestic properties

There are two types of EPC required depending on the status of the dwelling. New homes require that a full Standard Assessment Procedure (SAP) EPC is carried out by an ‘On Construction Domestic Energy Assessor’ (OCDEA) , whilst an existing dwelling needs a Reduced Data SAP (RdSAP) EPC performed by an accredited Domestic Energy Assessor (DEA).

Predicted Energy Assessments (PEAs)

PEAs are required for domestic properties that are incomplete (during construction) and are being marketed whilst off plan. (BRUKL document for Part L compliance.

Non – Domestic Properties

If the building is not self-contained; does not have a dedicated entrance which allows exclusive use of a private bathroom and kitchen area, it will require a non-domestic assessment to be carried out.


How to get an Energy Performance Certificate

For Domestic Properties

So, how do I get an energy performance certificate UK? Our accredited Domestic Energy Assessors (DEAs) will collect information on your property and produce an energy efficiency rating using an SAP computer programme and produce an EPC. The kind of information they will require includes:

  • Building Type / Age
  • Number of Floors / Rooms
  • Type / Size of rooms
  • Corridors Height / Width
  • Type / Size of Window
  • Type / Size of Fireplace
  • Roof Insulation
  • Heating and Water Systems


Our DEAs can also help explain efficiency ratings and offer practical advice to improve your property’s energy efficiency to help you reduce waste and lower your energy bills.

For Commercial Properties
Our Energy Assessors are also able to produce commercial energy performance certificates by following a more detailed process than the one outlined above. To gather all the information required they may need to do a site visit before they can produce an energy performance certificate commercial property report.

Why not call 0117 925 4340 and speak to one of our Energy Assessors to discuss EPC certificates and your requirements in more detail, with no obligation.

King Shaw Associates also provide a range of engineering services to ensure your commercial property is as energy efficient and as sustainable as possible. Our engineers can provide input on building services and design, environmental engineering and sustainability.